There has been a church in Mobberley since before the Norman Conquest, the earliest reference to a church however dates from 1206 when Patrick de Mobberley founded a small Priory of regular canons of the Order of St. Augustine. The Priory was annexed by 1240 the Priory of Rochester in Staffordshire.
The oldest part of the present building, the chancel and the eastern section of the nave, date from 1245. In 1450 the Clerestory and Roof were added and the aisles widened and in 1533 the tower was added to replace the original detached tower which had fallen into disrepair.
The church underwent a major reordering in the 1880’s when the Chancel and Vestry were rebuilt and the Chancel Arch erected. It was during these works that Saxon foundation remains were found. It was also during that renovation work that the ornate rerados was added showing Jesus on the cross flanked by the four evangelists with St. Mary and St. Wilfrid, the original two patrons of the parish, at either end.
The church boasts a beautiful Rood screen which dates from around 1500 and which bears a number of coats of arms as well as other motifs.
The pillars of the screen are also richly carved and a number of faces can be discerned including that of a Green Man.
The church has some magnificent 14th century stained glass showing the armorial motifs of a number of local families. The shields were in the original East window but were remade in the Victorian period and placed in their present position on the south side of the sanctuary.
The arms of the Leycester Family
Another important window is that in memory of George Leigh Mallory who died on Mount Everest in 1924. The church has had a long connection with the Mallory family and there are numerous windows and memorial plaques to the family throughout the church. The window depicts St. George, King Arthur and Sir Galahad as well as scenes from King Arthur's life including his death at Avalon (although the peaks in the distance look suspiciously like the Himalaya).
The George Mallory Memorial Window
Detail from the window
On the north side of the church there is also a window commemorating St. Wilfrid which depicts him flanked by St. Hilda of Whitby and St. Agnes. In the bottom left is a scene from the poem St. Eddi by Rudyard Kipling.
Other items of note include the font which is a composite structure of a Victorian font on a pedestal from a medieval water stoop on what some believe to be an inverted Tudor font.
On the northern wall of the church can still be seen a medieval mural which appears to depict St. George slaying a recumbent dragon.
The other depictions are unfortunately less clear however the figure of St. Christopher can just about be discerned. Above the mural is a magnificent roof which is richly decorated on the King posts with late 15th century figures. At the Victorian restoration the corbels were also dressed with beautiful angelic figures as well as a figure of the blessed Virgin Mary.
At the west end there is a Ringers Gallery which opens onto the church and which has a Jacobean carved rail dedicated to John Baguley and Henry Burges who were Churchwardens in 1693.
The organ chamber was built to house the organ that once stood in the Manchester Free Trade Hall and which had been the property of Sir Charles Hallé. That organ was replaced in the 1950's. In 2010 a 3 manual electronic Phoenix organ was installed and in 2012 the organ chamber was remodelled as a lavatory with upstairs storage area.
Exterior features include a Victorian gothic-style porch in which can be found 13th century Consecration cross cut in the stonework by the south door.
There is also a ‘scratch’ sun dial to the right of the south door.
The south side of the church is graced by an ancient Yew tree.